.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


16 December 2013

Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies



It was really nice being in Houston last week. Not only did I get to spend the week with a major cutie pie, but I got to go back to a place that has lots of sweet memories (since that is the city I met the hubby) and try out new places for dinner with my cousin. The first night there she took me to a Korean BBQ place. While heading there, I saw a restaurant called Fat Bao. I love Bao! Isn't that the funniest name?!? I LOVED it. Well the next night the hubby was coming down to visit, because I wanted him to meet the baby plus I get homesick from him and Ninja. I mentioned this Bao place to him and he chose it for our place for dinner the next night.


Everything there was so yummy. It's more on the pricey side for the portions you get but you are also paying for the novelty of the food. But it is so well worth it. They had Asian style fries. We ordered "Fat Fries" which came with a spicy kimchi sauce, vegetables and pork. Completely drool worthy :) Then I ordered a pork bao and a smoked salmon bao...also completely drool worthy. The hubby got a duck bao and a fish bao...also amazing! We finished dessert with a s'moers bao! It was a deep fried bao filled with NUTELLA and marshmallow cream.........OMG.....I am getting hungry now and almost tempted to make the 2 hour trek from College Station to Houston. Don't judge me, I just love and appreciate food. If you are ever in Houston, I really suggest you try this place. And, no, they have no idea I am plugging them right now :)



Nothing says Christmas more than the colors red and green or the flavor peppermint. Well, I decided to use both and make red velvet peppermint thumbprint cookies. They look absolutely beautiful and they taste great. I love the look of these, they look so festive! I used a red velvet pudding cookie as the base (of course I would right?! My addiction for pudding cookies runs deep. What can I say?) and Peppermint Hershey Kisses. The hubby took it to work last week and it went fast (I also made him take the mint truffle crinkle blossoms). I also took a few down to my cousin and she seemed to really like them.








RED VELVET PEPPERMINT THUMBPRINT COOKIES 
A For the Love of Dessert Original Recipe 

INGREDIENTS

Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees

2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 (3.4-3.56 oz.) package of chocolate pudding
1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1-2 tbsp. red food coloring
10 oz. bag of Peppermint Hershey Kisses

DIRECTIONS

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and pudding mix. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy (approximately 5-8 minutes). Add in eggs, one a time, mixing until incorporated (after each egg, scrape down the sides of the bowl before mixing again). Next, mix in vanilla, followed by red food coloring.
  • For food coloring, add in 1 tbsp. first. Then slowly add in more, until desired color is reached. Note- the batter will get slightly darker when adding in dry ingredients. After all, we are using chocolate pudding.
Slowly add in dry ingredients, one cup at a time, mixing until just incorporated. Similar to the eggs, scrape down the sides of the bowl, before mixing again. Last, mix in chocolate chunks.

Place batter in the refrigerator for abut 5-10 minutes, to allow the batter to harden a bit. Line baking sheet with a baking mat, aluminum foil, parchment paper or wax paper. Scoop out 1 1/2-2 inch, large cookie dough balls onto sheet (roll between palms of your hands for a nice round shape). Space the cookies 2 inches apart, press down slightly, and bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies do not spread too much. Immediately remove from oven and press a Hershey peppermint kiss into the top center of each cookie. Let rest for 1 minute and then gently jiggle the cookie to make the Hershey kiss drop into a thumbprint.

Merry Christmas (it is just past midnight!),
Chika 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink