.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


22 January 2013

Sante Fe Stuffed Peppers



AHHH! I may have written this post and realized that I am the hugest, dork. I am not sure how I overlooked this, at first, but THIS IS MY 100TH RECIPE POST!!! I never in a million years would have guessed that I would have had it in me to start a blog and actually keep up with it, especially in graduate school! I am so proud of myself for keeping up with this blog because it has turned into something that I love, adore and am so passionate about. Each week I cannot wait to post the different things I have attempted to make.

This has become an outlet that I can share my thoughts, feelings, inspirations, frustrations, randomness, and especially my trials and errors as I learn to become a baker/chef :) I get to take all the amazing recipes that I see out there, make it and share it! All the while, learning so much and each day getting better! And along the way I have gotten to develop new skills- like photography and blog designing (however basic they may be :)!

This truly is my de-stressor from graduate school and hubby's pretty happy himself ;)  I LOVE being For the Love of Dessert and I LOVE that through it, I have gotten to "meet" so many other people who love food just as much as I do. This little space on the inter-web ;) is my FOODIE soul :) And that is awesome! Here's to another 100 posts and tons more cupcakery reviews ;) YAY!!!

Today I came home to find more presents! I guess, all of my parents' presents they had ordered did not get delivered on time-- which I do not mind at all. Coming home to presents when it is not technically your birthday anymore, is pretty darn nice :) In my package today, I got a Wilton Cake Lifter and 3 piece glass canister set! Mark two more off my wish list. Which I am not sure is a Wish List anymore, so much, as it is a look what I now own list ;) I've been itching to make a cake-- and now I guess I have another reason. And I  am also desperately in need of storage containers for all the baking ingredients I have-- so all in all-- a pretty great gift!

In my attempt to eat healthier-- I made these stuffed peppers for the hubby and I this past weekend. They were not too difficult to make, did not require too many ingredients and tasted really good! Very southwestern and filled with a ton of veggies! I used very little cheese to keep it light.






SANTA FE STUFFED PEPPERS
Adapted slightly from Skinny Taste

INGREDIENTS 

Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees

FOR THE FILLING
1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
3 tbsp. chopped onion
2 tbsp. cilantro
3 tbsp. taco seasoning
1/8 c. chopped jalapeno peppers
Salt to taste
1 (15.25 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can of tomatoes, drained and rinsed
3/4 c. frozen corn

FOR THE PEPPERS
3 bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and cleaned*
1/3 c. chicken broth
Shredded cheese for garnish*
Paprika for garnish (optional)

* Choose pepper (red, yellow, or green) and cheese of choice (I think pepper jack would be great). I chose green bell peppers and mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS

In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown turkey and season with salt. When turkey is cooked or browned, add onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, black beans  and tomatoes. Mix well, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Remove lid, and add corn. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or longer-- until excess liquid evaporates. Season turkey mixture with taco seasoning, combining well.

To prepare peppers, cut peppers lengthwise and remove seed and stem (I also always rinse the pepper with water and dry once cut). Place peppers, cut side up in an oven proof dish-- I use glass Pyrex dishes. Pour chicken broth into dish. Fill each pepper (until full) with turkey mixture. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45-50 minutes until peppers become tender.

Take dish out of the oven and remove foil to sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese on top. Once topped with shredded cheese return to oven for an additional 5 minutes of until cheese has melted. My cheese took about 3 minutes. You do not want to keep it in there too long as the cheese will burn. I sprinkled a little paprika on top of my peppers (you could also sprinkle a little Taco Seasoning instead).

Enjoy,
Chika

36 comments :

  1. I would love to make this tonight and I was curious as to what size of canned tomatoes do you use. Also is it whole tomatoes? With the corn is it added in frozen or do you cook it first? I noticed that is says to simmer everything until liquid evaporates, but I did not see any type of liquid added into the dish..did I overlook something? I am a novice cook and want to make sure I do this recipe justice :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous! Thanks for pointing out that over sight -- I have updated the post to include the ounces. It is~14 oz. can of tomatoes and a 15.5 oz can of black beans. The corn should be frozen (not cooked). If you do not have frozen corn you can used canned corn (liquid drained).

    It says simmer because although you do not add liquid the meat and vegetables will release liquid wants you start cooking them.

    It's totally fine...I'm a novice at everything too, so I totally get it! :) I hope the recipe turns out great! Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you have wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh..thank you so much, I am in the middle of making it now, so this helps tremendously!! It looks gorgeous and yummy..I will let you know how it turns out!!!! Thanks again & have a great 2014 also!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicka, my family just finished this, and it was amazing!! Thank you for sharing. I already see more of your "savory picks" that I want to try! Anonymous from previous posts = DayleAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chika not Chicka..sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous! No problem! Have fun cooking and thanks for the New Years wish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. DayleAnn: Hi! :YAY! I am so glad they came out great and you family enjoy the recipe :) Yes! Please try some of my savoy picks! I love all of them! And no problem! Chicka/Chika...it's easy to make that typo :) Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a sweet comment and have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what temperature did you set the oven to?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excited to try these tonight!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maria Christina! You preheat the oven to 350F :) Hope that helps! let me know if you have any other questions :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous! YAY! How did they turn out?!?! I love this recipe because its filling and it lets me feel "healthy" :) Thanks for commenting! And I hope they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Chika...OMG they turned out sooo good! Super Delish!! Thank you for the recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Sorry it took me FOREVER to respond! I took a small break from blogging, and by small I mean 5 months :/ to handle some school stuff. AHHHHH, YAY! I am so glad they turned out great and delicious! That's what I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear! You are very welcome. Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me know :)

      Delete
  13. Was just wondering when the beans should be added :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Sorry I took so long to respond, I took a little hiatus from blogging to handle some school things (I also am not sure if you are the same anonymous from above -- hahaha, if so sorry to tell you twice). I can't believe I left out about the beans, and no one has said anything before eeeeek. I have updated the post to show when you add the beans (but its at the same time as the tomatoes). I hope that helps but I have a huge feeling you already made this! I hope it turned out well and I really appreciate you taking the time to point out that over sight! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. My family made this tonight and it was so good!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Awesome and YAY! I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed the recipe! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know :) Always great to hear wonderful things!

      Delete
  15. These are incredible, The best stuffed peppers out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eclectic-hair stuido! ::blush:: really?!?! What an incredibly sweet comment -- thank you :) And thank you for stopping by just to say that!

      Delete
  16. Just found this recipe on Pinterest and made it today. Delicious! Thanks! Will be checking your other recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Yay! I am so glad you liked it and I hope you enjoy my other recipes too! Sorry it took me so long to reply...grad school has a tendency to take over my life ;)

      Delete
  17. Thank you so much for this recipe. We loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Awesome! So glad to hear you loved it :)

      Delete
  18. I was impressed and very pleased with how they came out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel (again :) I am so excited to hear! YAY!

      Delete
  19. Found this on Pinterest and made it tonight. Love your changes to the original recipe. This was very good and even my 4yr old and 6yr old at them! We decided the filling was so good that it would be awesome as a nacho topping or in a burrito with some grilled veggies and lettuce, too maybe! Anyway, a keeper. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops spelling. They ATE them, not at them :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Amy! So glad to hear you and your family loved the recipe! I never thought of using the filling as a nacho topper but that is an awesome idea! :)

      Delete
  20. Hi Chika,

    How exactly do I pour the chicken broth while baking the peppers? On the baking dish (and the peppers are semi-immersed) or just into the peppers? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! You want to pour the broth into the baking dish so the bottom of the dish is covered with broth and the peppers are semi immersed (NOT into the peppers). Hope that helps :) and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  21. Anyone know what the portion is if you're meal prepping?

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink