.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


01 August 2012

Chewy Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies



You know what I realized as I was getting ready to bake today? That I am learning more than psychology as learn to become a self-taught baker! What was the lesson today? Well there were two. First I learned that cakes and cupcakes are made from either all purpose flour or cake flour. Cake Flour? I have never heard about that till today. I was doing some research in planning for the hubster's birthday and I stumbled upon cake flour and just had to look it up. I learned that the difference is in the texture of the cake and cupcake when it is baked. All purpose flour has more protein content while cake flour has less protein content. So what does that cause- well cake flour creates a light and tender cake/cupcake (similar to Angel food cake). I also learned the difference between using shortening versus butter in baking cookies. When using butter, you get that wonderful butter taste but the cookies are thinner and more crispy whereas shortening makes cookies lighter and fluffier. If you are a more experienced baker/cook you already knew that, but it's fun facts to know :)

Today, I came home from a long day at school, well I guess I should say, a long week at school and I really wanted something sweet to eat. As I've mentioned before, I do not eat what I bake usually but an exception to that pattern is cookies. I really love fresh baked cookies. So I came home determined to make some chocolate chip cookies. While skimming Pinterest as to what chocolate chip recipe I would make I also saw a recipe for butterscotch chocolate chip cookies. It sounded really interesting and delicious so I decided that was the recipe I would make (plus I had the ingredients on hand). Which is briefly going to take me on another tangent: as I've become more and more into baking, I've realized that I always have my needed "baking stock" ready :) Which is something I've never done before. But I never go without things like butter, flour, any type of sugars, egg, chocolate chips, etc.  Anyways, the recipe was short and simple. The dough was a bit hard to work with but placing it in the freezer for 20 minutes solved the problem. Little mess and in just a few short minutes- out came delicious cookies. And instead of sharing what the hubster thought like I usually do (which he said they were yummy), I can share what I thought- they were delightful. A wonderful mixture of chocolate and butterscotch- to flavors I enjoy greatly. Granted I would have liked more chocolate, but the hubster was probably grateful I made an even blend of butterscotch and chocolate.





CHEWY BUTTERSCOTCH CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Adapted from Chef in Training

INGREDIENTS

Preheat Oven to 375F degrees

1 c. shortening
1/4 c. butter (softened)
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. chocolate chips
3/4 c. butterscotch chips

DIRECTIONS

Cream together shortening, butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add slowly to wet mixture. Finally add in butterscotch and chocoalte chips. Scoop 1 1/2 inch round balls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. My cookies were perfect at right about 9 minutes.

Enjoy,
Chika

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink