.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


21 August 2012

Avocado Mac and Cheese



Today is a special day and will mark two baking events (one of which will be posted tomorrow since I take all my pictures in the daytime and I only plan on starting to make my next "creation" after this post). Anywhoo...why a special day you may ask? Well let me tell you. Within our program we must propose our dissertation topic to our committee as well as pass oral preliminary exams which occur during the same meeting. Well today was that day for me. I had my dissertation proposal meeting and preliminary exams this morning- and I passed :) What a feeling of major stress being lifted, joy, exhauation and awesomeness I felt. But by "passing this" I can now officially call myself a doctoral candidate!!!! Super duper exciting stuff for me- it really is one step closer to obtaining my PhD and I could not be more excited.

Ok! Brace yourselves but I am now going to post about a non-dessert! OMG! I did not think I would do this, but then I realized, that since the whole point of my blog was to expand my repetoire beyond psycholoygy- my next thought was why not? Married life has brought new and exciting changes/challenges for me. One being cooking for two and the other making the hubster lunch and dinner (and soon hopefully homemade breakfasts...right now he does cereal). Since I was preparing for my proposal meeting, I was MIA in the kitchen but now Im back :) I stumbled upon this cool recipe on Pinterest (where else?)- for avocado mac and cheese. I love, love, love avocado and I love mac and cheese- so I just had to try it and I had to share. Hopefully you enjoy.




AVACADO MAC AND CHEESE

INGREDIENTS

10 ounces dry elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 c milk
2 c shredded cheese (pepper jack is recommended)
Salt and pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS

Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Salt the water and add in macaroni. Stir and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, make the avocado sauce by placing the garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside. To make the cheese sauce, place butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. When butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a paste. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce starts to thicken. Add in Pepper Jack cheese and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy. Place macaroni in a large bowl. Pour the avocado sauce over the macaroni and stir until well coated. Add the cheese sauce and stir until macaroni is coated and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm.

Note-the lime juice keeps the avocado from browning. The mac and cheese is best eaten the first day, but it is still good the second day. The pasta may turn slightly brown.

Enjoy,
Chika

2 comments :

  1. Anyone can really have the mix-emotion feeling if they would also be put in your place. PhD dissertations proposals can really be hard, but if you know what you doing, then everything would eventually end up in the right place. Anyway, the avocado mac and cheese really looks delicious! Thank for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so understanding! Thank you :) And no problem-- I love to share recipes and just meet other people! I hope the recipe turned out well (if you tried it :).

      Delete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink